There is nothing easier than baking with condensed milk. Eagle Brand states it is the magic ingredient that bakers have used for over 150 years.
Condensed milk is granulated sugar that is cooked down and then mixed with whole milk. It can be found in the baking aisle, on the shelf, at your local grocery store. Both budget-friendly and versatile, this can of milk is the perfect rich ingredient to keep on hand at all times as it adds delicious flavour and texture to pies, fudge, bars and more.
During the holiday season we have a few family favourite recipes that call for condensed milk. The top favourite is a square we call Hello Dolly, also called a seven layer bar or magic bar.
Quick and easy, a few simple steps of a graham crust base, topped with coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts you will have a gooey good square that everyone will enjoy.
Hello Dolly Bar
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz can)
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven 350F
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper, extendng over edge of pan. Coat lightly with cooking spray
- COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack.
- After bars have baked and cooled, lift up by edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into individual bars.