Say it ain’t soJump to Recipe
As we stay isolated at home, many of us have started cooking again, several meals each day. Not just making a grab-and-go breakfast or brown-bagged lunch. We are creating worthy meals; they are sit-at-a-table-and-enjoy-each-mouthful deliciousness.
After a period of making all the favourite comfort foods, we start to search for healthier recipes. I love to bake and have had to cut back on the weekly treats as the freezer seems to be overflowing, and the COVID 15 is getting real.
A friend of mine shared a recipe for Chickpea Peanut Butter cookies. I have to say, I was intrigued by the thought of using chickpeas as a base instead of flour in a cookie.
If you’re thinking “chickpeas” really? Chickpeas are low in sugar, gluten-free, and filled with fiber. Think beyond hummus; chickpeas are very versatile in baking as a flour substitute. If I didn’t tell you, you wouldn’t even know there are chickpeas in these cookies. They really taste like peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.
Quick and easy, this recipe whips up in a food processor, turning the chickpeas into a paste, which acts as the binding to your cookie. Add peanut butter and sweeten with honey or maple syrup, and voila a healthy chickpea cookie!
Go ahead and give this recipe a try, then google a second sweet recipe with Chickpeas, and let me know how much you loved it!
Chickpea Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans in a colander and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Add all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips to a food processor and process until well-combined and a thick dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough (it won’t spread on its own so you will need to shape it into cookie shapes) and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 12 minutes, depending on how soft or crispy you like your cookies.
- Allow cookies to cool at least 10 minutes