November 15th is National Bundt (pan) Day. Created in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Bundt pan, by Nordic Ware.
The Bundt cake gets its name from the pan it uses, not a specific recipe. The traditional pan is round with a fluted hole in the middle, giving the cake a distinctive ring shape. Nordic Ware trademarked the Bundt pan in the early 1950s, giving us the classic pan, we typically think of.
Most commonly a pound cake recipe is used with a Bundt pan, but many coffee cake recipes can be adapted to fit a Bundt pan. The decorative shapes of the Bundt pan limit the need for icing and decoration, giving you more time to sit and enjoy your sweet labour.
Nordic Ware has created a beautiful line of Bundt pans; the perfect gift this holiday season for the baker on your list. https://www.nordicware.com
One of my favourite recipes in a Bundt pan is a hummingbird cake. A moist cake filled with bananas, pineapple, coconut and pecans. Finished of course, with a cream cheese icing, drizzled over the edges. Or, if you are like my husband, he prefers his Bundt cakes spread thick with a layer of butter.
DID you know ..
- The hole in the middle of the pan helps bake the dense cake evenly
- The Bundt pan was inspired by the German kuglehoupf pan
- Check out nationaldaycalendar.com for more national food dates
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple, including juice
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour bundt pan, ensure to cover all creases in pan. Set aside.
- Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl;
- Add eggs and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, bananas, and toasted pecans.
- Sprinkle 1 cup toasted pecans into a Bundt pan. Spoon batter over pecans.
- Bake for 60 – 70 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Blend cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tbsp. milk. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, processing until smooth.
- Immediately pour glaze over cooled cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup toasted pecans.