These days you can make anything from cauliflower. Gone are the days of steaming vegetables for your evening dinner, now cauliflower is roasted with garlic, or disguised as buffalo chicken. It can be made into rice, breadsticks, bagels, fritters, and even pizza crust.
With the trend for healthy eating, plant-based diets, cauliflower makes a good medium for bread substitution. Most recipes start with cooking fresh cauliflower and then “ricing” the florets into small rice-sized pieces. I was thrilled to find “riced” cauliflower ready-made in the grocery freezer. Thank you Jolly Green Giant!
When I wrote the post on the Yum and Yummer cookbook, one recipe that stood out was a mushroom and spinach quiche with a cauliflower crust. Trying to incorporate a meatless recipe once a week for dinner, I thought this would be a great recipe to try.
Although I started with the premade riced cauliflower from the freezer, I have made cauliflower rice from a head of cauliflower, and it can be made quickly if you use a food processor. Adding an egg and parmesan cheese, the cauliflower crust came together well and held its’ shape in the pie plate. Baking in the oven for 15 mins while I prepared the quiche filling, dried out the cauliflower and assisted the egg mixture in sitting on top of the crust.
I am a fan of using cauliflower as a base for pizza, and I was thrilled with how the quiche turned out and would add this recipe back into the rotation for another evening meal.
DID you know ..
- Cauliflowers are not just white. This vegetable has several varieties, including purple cauliflower, orange cauliflower and even a broccoli-cauliflower hybrid called “broccoflower.”
- peak seasons for cauliflower are in the spring and fall
Tips from the Pro …
- When buying cauliflower, look for compact white florets. The head of the cauliflower should be heavy for its size and the leaves should be bright green and not wilted. If the bottom of the head is soft, the cauliflower is no longer fresh.
- To keep your cauliflower as fresh as possible, store them unwashed in the refrigerator with the stem side down in an open plastic bag.
- When steaming cauliflower, add the juice of ½ lemon to the water. The lemon juice will help keep the florets whiter